All Comments by Cal_3

2 Cal_3 5 years, 4 months ago Context

I understand the underlying concern. I am one of those individuals who you see with a Blackberry, creeping around in the shadows, texting away and foaming at the mouth (okay, maybe not). The texting dispensation that we've recently encountered is absolutely annoying. Not, for me at least, because of the lack of knowledge towards grammar and courtesy, but towards the idea that WHY IS EVERYONE SO SLAP HAPPY ABOUT TEXTING?

Okay, I understand its easier than a phone call. It may even be easier than an email (though with the new phones they are pretty much the same), but why is it now the common medium?

I push myself to try to keep every form of communication decent, even when what I'm conjuring maybe just a hello or a thank you. Today, the youth especially, aren't pushing towards these details simply because they aren't pushed towards it.

Simply stated this culture (global I would think) is ebbing too far towards cold misconstrued brevity instead of keeping itself inside the shelter of admirable quality (while drinking a comfortably warm cup of self-respect, of course).

hidden comment from Cal_3 with score of 2
1 Cal_3 5 years, 5 months ago Context

I try not to rely on being inspired. I feel that if I only hold out till then I'll fail as a writer, not because its wrong mind you but because I want to expand my boundaries.

I find myself writing when I really REALLY dont want to. When I do this, about 15 minutes into the session I'm sprinting and I cant keep up with myself. Likewise, since I write longer fiction than most other people and what I write is pertaining to the stories, I find that I can explore plot points better (and even find some plot holes I need to fill up).

This said I do very much cherish the times in which I am inspired. I make sure that that fuel is drained as much as possible during that session of writing so that the next day can still have an inkling of inspiration because what I wrote was great (usually).

1 Cal_3 5 years, 5 months ago Context

I often welcome the idea of writing myself into a corner. Heck, its an outright challenge!

We all know writing can be easy some days and impossible the next but sometimes all it takes is a decision. If you don't want to rewrite a certain part because you're so attached to it then thats your right. If you feel that their is another way then go for it.

But when the time comes and you've hit that wall again you might need to finally accept the fact and rewrite the scene/chapter/novel.

I'm at the point in my biggest project (100,000 word novel...ish) where I need to begin to tie it all together. Its hard for me to finish it by going stream of thought. I've found myself reading and rereading -- note editing mind you -- everything I've written so I can decide what conclusions would fit the best.

In short, theres a time and place for writing by the seat of your pants or sitting back and recollecting. Its up to you to see when its appropriate.

When you test both ideas for this trap you've woven yourself you'll realize which works best for you and I hope that you run with it for the rest of your writing career.

1 Cal_3 5 years, 5 months ago Context

Thanks for the complements!

1 Cal_3 5 years, 5 months ago Context

Haha, nice pun. Thanks for the comment!

1 Cal_3 5 years, 5 months ago Context

I've never watched heroes either but I can certainly see the similarity.

Thanks for the complements and I'm with you. I'd love to see what happens next as well! XD

1 Cal_3 5 years, 5 months ago Context

yea, rereading it I've seen a lot of awkward sentences I didnt see before. Thanks for the helping hand with that.

I'm very much glad you like the pacing as well. Thanks again!

1 Cal_3 5 years, 5 months ago Context

Thanks for the input towards the syntax and flow. I'd written it, read it once and edited it, then threw it on the site.

I'll fix it all for my own copy and keep the flow in mind with the next coming chapter(s).

I thought about changing the title but I feel it adds to the suspense.

Thanks for the input!

1 Cal_3 5 years, 5 months ago Context

So do I and I'm with you to see where its leading :)

1 Cal_3 5 years, 5 months ago Context

Haha thats for your exuberance. Ive been busy with college and whatnot. I'll be pushing more stuff onto this site as I get back into a normal swing of things.

Glad that you liked it. I may even write a chapter, who knows!

1 Cal_3 5 years, 5 months ago Context

Alright, good stuff so far. I like whats been said.

NeoShaolin comes up with a pretty emotional and dangerous argument. I'm at the young and exuberant age of 19 and yet I disagree with you. It may just be my teen angst still waning and waxing here and there but I feel that if nothing else we are the generation the redeems our culture from laziness.

As for Stephanie Meyer, though I HATED the books, shes very clever. You are absolutely right it was as dry as concrete. She shouldn't write. But...she did. Allow me to explain what happened in specific.

Interestingly enough, what she did with her writing (which may or may not have been her idea) is that she made a character that was so nothing -- such an open canvas -- that the love the main character had for the vampire could be painted into a beautiful picture, not by her prose, but the imagination of the young female audience.

Stephanie Meyer is, what, 40-50? Certainly not in my generation or yours, Neo. What I'm saying is that when the time comes the pen will be in our hands and at that time we can write the story of our culture as we wish.

Until then we wait, we study, we hone, we perfect, not because thats what we are supposed to do but because we need it. If any of you feel ashamed that our culture highlights and awards these absolutely gray writing then do something about it.

Write something better, know and manipulate the business. Overthrow them from their throne.

3 Cal_3 5 years, 5 months ago Context

I read the comment earlier in the discussion that whether or not characterization is 'better', but rather that its just different. This is a strong point and can be paralleled with whats happening with modern day publications.

Take a glance at the numerous stereotypical multi-novel writers that the usual people can list off like Janet Evonovich or Robert B. Parker (sorry about staying in mystery). Its all about characterization with them. Hell even with Kazuo Ishiguro its all about characterization (even though he gives you NOTHING).

This conversation/argument seems to be a commentary on a cultural dissection of modern publications, instead of only the culture of the site. More people nowadays enjoy characterization than plot. If you have an intense plot, or are mimicking James Joyce and manipulating plot to commentate on something, people wont connect the same -- unless they have a previous understanding that is.

Its easy to forget that the purpose of literature is to entertain and enlighten. Some people are lost within either one. I know that I have a grudge against many of the modern popular publications because they all are 'the same' but in the same sense a lot of the publications that comment on social iniquity bore the crap out of me.

I agree that there should be a balance, but balance shouldn't dim the light of the writer's style, and here is where it where the real trouble starts. Characterization, I think, is overused in modern literature -- not necessarily because its easy or hard or anything but just that it was a trend -- and because of this many writers on this site have fused that habit into their own writing.

I don't like knowing about the character all the time. Its been done, show me something different. Or, if you can, at least mess with my head a little bit so the characterization seems like its building but its really not, (once again, thanks to Kazuo Ishiguro for that helping example...)

Cal

hidden comment from Cal_3 with score of 3
1 Cal_3 5 years, 9 months ago Context

Oh wow, quite a hefty compliment. I'm glad my prose, save the time line and mistakes of course, is 'too good to stop reading'.

Thank you much!

1 Cal_3 5 years, 9 months ago Context

Ha, well thats good! :P

Thanks for all the comments!

1 Cal_3 5 years, 9 months ago Context

Haha thanks. I know its littered with mistakes. I didnt bother editing it before I published it on storymash.

A little childish but I wanted to make sure I got the mood. Sounds like I did fairly well! ^_^

Thanks for input and comments!

1 Cal_3 5 years, 9 months ago Context

Thats good to hear. I plan on this being at least the starting point of a book.

Though this probably wont be the first chapter.

Thanks for the comment!

1 Cal_3 5 years, 9 months ago Context

Haha, thats quite the complement!

1 Cal_3 5 years, 9 months ago Context

The (*verse*) thing is supposed to be some verse but I didnt bother putting one in. I still need to research it.

1 Cal_3 5 years, 9 months ago Context

The flow was comfortable and it matched the high school environment. The ending really set up for either catastrophe or serenity.

Cant wait to hear the next!

~Cal

2 Cal_3 5 years, 10 months ago Context

Thank you for your input.

hidden comment from Cal_3 with score of 2

1 Cal_3 5 years, 10 months ago Context

Thank you very much! I look forward to the next chapter as well :P

1 Cal_3 5 years, 10 months ago Context

Well then, I'll want to make sure that I don't form my prose in any confusing manner anymore!

Thanks for commenting and thanks for saying its beautiful! haha

1 Cal_3 5 years, 10 months ago Context

I've already re-edited it, it flows more logically and hopefully it adds to the prose and doesn't take away from its form!

Thanks for comment!

1 Cal_3 5 years, 10 months ago Context

Aw! Thanks for catching the missing comma an thanks for comment!

1 Cal_3 5 years, 10 months ago Context

Thank you much! The rhyming wasn't so much intended as it was a coincidence, haha!

2 Cal_3 5 years, 10 months ago Context

I enjoyed the back and forth in the tone of the story. Someone said it before but to reiterate, the clash in character give a lot to possibility.

The build of suspense was just enough for the tone and, in my opinion, balances perfectly with inner character conflict with external conflict.

Cant wait to see whats next!

hidden comment from Cal_3 with score of 2

Thank you very much!

Can't wait for you guys to see more of what I've written!

1 Cal_3 5 years, 10 months ago Context

Ahh, thank you for bringing the time line to my attention! I'll be laying out the paragraphs in cut outs so I can make sure its clear and easily understood ^_^

I've caught numerous mis-spells and even the adjectives you were talking talking about after I'd posted it.

Let's just say that the copy on my computer is far better than the one on the site!

Thanks again for the critiquing!

Bwhahahaha! *evil laugh*

Thank you for reading!

1 Cal_3 5 years, 10 months ago Context

Not sure about the life of barley haha.

Thanks for the complements!

1 Cal_3 5 years, 10 months ago Context

Thank you very much for the complements!

1 Cal_3 5 years, 10 months ago Context

Thanks for the comment. I'm curious about the dripping blood as well but not curious enough to test it out XD

Thanks for catching the tenses, I have a horrible habit of doing that!

1 Cal_3 5 years, 10 months ago Context

Sounds good to me! I'll be waiting...

1 Cal_3 5 years, 10 months ago Context

Hello, I'm new and bursting with writing energy! I'm doing my best to learn as fast as I can about anything that pertains to writing. My first Chapter posted is 'Dear Father', check it out and tell me what you think. (Its not perfect, Ive already seen mistakes XD)

Either way, can wait to become a full fledged part of this writing machine!